Embassy of Indonesia, Canberra
|Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Canberra|
Kedutaan Besar Republik Indonesia di Canberra
|Address||8 Darwin Avenue, Yarralumla, Canberra,|
ACT 2600, Australia
|Coordinates||35°18′14.5″S 149°6′59.9″E / 35.304028°S 149.116639°ECoordinates: 35°18′14.5″S 149°6′59.9″E / 35.304028°S 149.116639°E|
The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Canberra (Indonesian: Kedutaan Besar Republik Indonesia di Canberra) is the diplomatic mission of Indonesia in Australia, which also doubles as the former's mission to Vanuatu. The current ambassador, Siswo Pramono, took office in October 2021.
Consulate Generals of Indonesia are also present in the cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Darwin.
Indonesia's first representative in Australia, Usman Sastroamidjojo, was assigned in June 1947 during the Indonesian National Revolution as "chief of the diplomatic and consular service for the Indonesian Republic". Initially located in Melbourne, the representation moved to Canberra in 1949, moving from Hotel Canberra to Deakin before permanently establishing itself in the current embassy location at Yarralumla in August 1971. The building itself had commenced construction since January 1970. The original building was designed by George Holland, and featured a display pavilion called "Wisma Wista Budaya". An additional office block was constructed between 1983 and 1984. A second display hall, named "Balai Kartini" after Kartini, was completed in 1986.
The embassy was targeted by a bioterrorism hoax in 2005 during the trial of Schapelle Corby. In 2015, a week after the executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, a HAZMAT team was called to the embassy due to presence of a suspicious package containing white powder.
- Australia–Indonesia relations
- Indonesian ambassadors to Australia
- Embassy of Australia, Jakarta
- Australian ambassadors to Indonesia
- Australian Consulate-General, Surabaya
- Consuls-General of Australia
- Diplomatic missions in Australia
- Diplomatic missions of Indonesia
- ^ "Indonesian Embassy in Canberra". KBRI Canberra. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- ^ "Yarralumla Diplomatic Estate Tour". nca.gov.au. National Capital Authority. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- ^ "A Brief History". KBRI Canberra. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- ^ Banham, Cynthia (2 June 2005). "PM: embassy attack makes it harder for Corby". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- ^ "HAZMAT team finds package with white powder at Indonesian Embassy in Canberra". ABC News. 4 May 2015. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Canberra
- Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Melbourne, Victoria
- Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Perth, West Australia
- Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Sydney, New South Wales
- Consulate of the Republic of Indonesia in Darwin, Northern Territory